Lake side camping, high mountain passes, lower river forests. This romp has it all. At 45 miles and nearly 15,000′ of elevation gain, it’s not easy, even spread over 4 days. But if you are looking to put down some miles, taking you through several distinct ecosystems, with incredible vistas, you’ll be hard pressed to do better.
WilderRomp is your destination for gear reviews, helpful tips, and insights for all of your adventures. Through our trip reports, we hope to inspire you enough to get outside and do a bit of romping of your own. Be it day hiking, or backpacking, we’ll have it covered. And we’ll sprinkle in the occasional bikepacking trip just to spice things up a bit. We have a casual and laid-back approach, focused on fun adventuring for everyone. While we may occasionally share a longer trek, most you can plan over a long weekend. So, sit back and relax for a bit, and then get up and get out into The Wilder.
This hike begins at the Phelps Creek Trailhead and continues along Phelps Creek for about 6 miles before reaching the stunning Spider Meadow. Nestled within the basin, you’ll enjoy the sounds of the creek waters, the playful antics of the local marmots, and an abundance of wildflowers. Take a side trek up to Spider Glacier, soaking in breathtaking vistas along the way. These are perfect environs for a Wilder Romp!
There is no place quite like the Pasayten Wilderness and this Horseshoe Basin romp will give would a great taste of an amazing arctic tundra. Throw in a side trek up Armstrong Mountain to visit the Canada-US border and you have yourself a proper Wilder Romp!
- What More, Ozette?August 6, 2022 - 10:55 am
- Lakeshore Trail to StehekinJuly 31, 2022 - 9:40 am
- Emergency Communication PlanMay 15, 2022 - 5:39 pm
- Comparing Ultralight TowelsApril 10, 2022 - 1:40 pm
- Backcountry First Aid Kit – A Pragmatic ApproachFebruary 22, 2022 - 10:42 am
- Flying With Your BackpackJanuary 12, 2022 - 9:21 am
- EVA Closed Cell Foam Pad ComparisonsDecember 5, 2021 - 3:45 pm
- Eagle Cap Wilderness: Aneroid LakeAugust 1, 2021 - 7:39 am
- MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe vs Soto WindmasterJune 5, 2021 - 12:53 pm
- Enchanted ValleyJune 4, 2021 - 2:19 pm